Happy New Year!

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

Happy New Year!

Post by RickLewis »

A very happy New Year to all members of this forum! Hope you have a great '08.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Thank you, Rick! Happy New Year to you and your family too!
xenophon

Post by xenophon »

Many Happy returns

x
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Happy New Year to you too, Mr. Lewis, and thank you very much for not banning me from the site!
AMod

Post by AMod »

Why would we ban you from this site?
AMod
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Since it is nearly New Year again, here is a link to the classic New Year sketch. Only the two-minute introduction is in German. The sketch itself is in English. As the presenter explains, the event is Miss Sophie's 90th birthday party. All of the guests have predeceased her, so the butler must impersonate them all.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0207814319
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Good morning, AMod,

Lost jobs, sullied reputations, destroyed families -- men have suffered severely for far, far less serious transgressions than mine. I am seeking to bring women back under control, under patriarchy, and this is one of the greatest taboos of all times. It automatically happens during and just after wars, of course, but to purposely set about it in peacetime is unprecedented. Openly to declare the policy is an affront against all civilised tradition.

You see, allowing me on your forum is one small step from PROVIDING me with a forum -- aiding and abetting me, in other words -- and you wouldn’t want to be accused of that now, would you? So you ARE being brave in taking this risk, and I thank you for it. For however long it may last, I am very, very grateful indeed.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

HAPPY NEW YEAR
I resolve to splurge extravagantly on a pair of Dr. Martens in 2009.
Then I can really kick butt.
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Dear RachelAnn,

Naughty lady! What will your husband have to say?
bigstu

Annis miracilis

Post by bigstu »

Blessings on all of us for 2009!
To be powerful is to listen carefully! :) cheers Stu
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

To anyone who is still over-eating their way through the festive season, take comfort from this story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... u-fat.html

It is not akrasia that leads you to indulge, but philosophia.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Duncan Queries:
Naughty lady! What will your husband have to say?
He's prone to fits of laughter. I have not purchased anything new for myself in five years, and for five years he has been urging me to do something nice for myself (I have kids. 'Nuff said).
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Dear RachelAnn,

I am delighted to hear it. My wife was most frugal too. The thing I forgot was to take the initiative and buy a present for her now and again. I would recommend that to your husband. Kids are expensive, I agree, but I don't half miss them now they are gone!
Aetixintro

Happy New Year! Happy 2009!

Post by Aetixintro »

I wish people of the PN forum a Happy New Year! Have a delightful 2009, everybody! Cheers!
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Happy New Year.

Rachel, a pair of doc marten's is not extravagant splurging; they will last you a good 5 years, longer if you don't mind the odd hole. They may be expensive for a pair (£60 I think), but per period owned, or per footstep taken, they are a sensible purchase. You'll have to find another reason to feel guilty ;)

Duncan, there is no reason to suppose that providing views with a platform necessarily does anything to promote them, as stifling views can lead to the very popularity that censorship aims at destroying. Having them laid out clearly for public rebuttal, however, allows them to be properly negated.

Most philosophers sensibly recognise this, and enjoy the cut and thrust of debating unusual views. Hence, this forum only deletes spam, and allows any cogently argued view regardless of whether it is sincerely held. In the case of some others, I am not sure how their comments do not qualify as spam, as spam need not be the solicitation of sales, simply universally meaningless or excessively repetitive, such as posting 'I don't care' on numerous threads or filling 70 pages of another thread with invective.