Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by marjoram_blues »

Hey Rick
You know I'm one of the biggest fans of Philosophy Now and the forum, doncha? Been back and fore for a wee while now. I'd like to say that, in the grand scheme of things, my frustration with certain aspects is simply piffling. I won't be mentioning it again.

Given my mellow mood (think 'easy listening'), watching snow flakes flutter down, I want to thank you for following your dream and making philosophy more open.
Many Congrats to you and the team's accomplishments. From the heart xxx.

Hope y'all enjoy this:
Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA142IsjQiE
If I Can Dream" is a song made famous by Elvis Presley, written by Walter Earl Brown[1] and notable for its direct quotations of Martin Luther King, Jr. It was recorded by Presley in June 1968, two months after King's assassination. The recording was first released to the public as the finale of Presley's '68 Comeback Special.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

MB, thanks for that warm and glowy attitude as it can be infectious. ;) I too look to the humbling affects of nature, its beauty soothing to the savage beast within, not to mention my love of fine music. ;)

And to remain on topic, Rick, I for one think you do a great job. My suggestion would be to remain as unbiased in the face of philosophical interest, as you seem to have been thus far. If philosophy cannot be the epitome of freedom, then what other discipline can?
Philosophy demands ears, above all other things, as it's how Socrates knew what questions to ask!

Happy Holidays, to all those wishing to celebrate, whatever they wish to celebrate, in the purest sense of course!
Theleman

Post by Theleman »

Would it be also a good idea to have sub forums based on the periods too? For example,

Ancient
Medieval
Modern
Contemporary
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Suggestion of Posting guideline "No clicks should be required to understand the post​" ©

From time to time I see people here abusing of links to the point of creating an entire post by simply pasting links.

As a forum, I think links should be ancillary to the ideas expressed in a post and not all, or almost all, its content.

As a minimum, I think it should be described what is in the link, and why it is relevant to the thread.

I hope considering this suggestion will help successful communication within the forum.

© Credit to Metabunk.org
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Theleman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm Would it be also a good idea to have sub forums based on the periods too? For example,

Ancient
Medieval
Modern
Contemporary
I quite like the idea but it could be tricky to have sub forums based both on subject matter and on historical period. For example, would something on Parfit's last book on ethics go into "Ethical Theory" or into "Contemporary philosophy"? Maybe that doesn't matter and people starting threads could simply choose what they liked best. On the other hand, too many threads could become cumbersome. What do other people think?
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

RickLewis wrote: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 pm
Gee wrote:Rick Lewis;

I have a question. Would it be difficult to make it so that the posts in a thread are numbered? I know that other forums have numbering on their posts, and I tend to have very long threads.

It would be a lot easier for me to refer someone to a specific post that answers their question, rather than to repeat the information over and over as new people join the discussion.

If it is feasible, it would be appreciated.

G
I'd be in favour of this. Like you, I have seen this on other forums.

However, I have just clicked around the admin areas and I can't see a setting for this. Then I Googled it and found that (at least as of 2 years ago) it was a feature available in other forum software, like vBulletin, but not in phpBB, which is the software we use here. In fact, I found a thread where the phpBB developers were discussing whether to add the feature or not:

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 08&t=42805

but I can't see any evidence that they have done so yet.

If I find out how to add post numbers, I'll do it.
You can add a MOD (modification) module to the phpbb software. You will have to add the post number extension module in the folder on the server. After you have added the MOD, then you go to ACP, and then you will see it in the settings, if God wills.

Check this phpbb support forum to learn more about it:https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2314116
The author of this MOD is kasimi.

I added this MOD on the forum I created to extend the mathematical and logic capabilities of phpbb. And it works fine. You can have a look at how it looks like when its done herehttp://philosophyforum.aba.ae/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

With AI being on the forefront of alot of industries, is there any possible way these forums could host an AI program (experimental, developed by private ) that we could debate and have discussions with?
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

It should be possible to do that in theory at least, I don't know if it has heen done though. In the meantime, if you have access to Google Play Store on your device, then I see a lot of AI programs with good reviews there. You can check that if you have not already.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Averroes wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:19 pm It should be possible to do that in theory at least, I don't know if it has heen done though. In the meantime, if you have access to Google Play Store on your device, then I see a lot of AI programs with good reviews there. You can check that if you have not already.
From what I have heard, programmers are working on a philosophical AI . It might be wise to test the boundaries of this "intelligence" considering it will be affecting our lives in the near future.

If Philosophy Now could host an opening for some researchers (Microsoft, Etc.) to use an AI Philosophy bot, it would be revolutionary for a forum while providing sound research. Now I expect what I am saying to be taken with a grain of salt considering I am not familiar who to address on this subject (Microsoft, Apple, Random X Company, etc.).

It is food for thought.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:07 am
JohnDoe, the idea is excellent, I only protest the venue. Philosophy Now forums have about as much to do with Philosophy as Science Fiction has with Science.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

Averroes wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:19 pm It should be possible to do that in theory at least, I don't know if it has heen done though. In the meantime, if you have access to Google Play Store on your device, then I see a lot of AI programs with good reviews there. You can check that if you have not already.
From what I have heard, programmers are working on a philosophical AI . It might be wise to test the boundaries of this "intelligence" considering it will be affecting our lives in the near future.

If Philosophy Now could host an opening for some researchers (Microsoft, Etc.) to use an AI Philosophy bot, it would be revolutionary for a forum while providing sound research. Now I expect what I am saying to be taken with a grain of salt considering I am not familiar who to address on this subject (Microsoft, Apple, Random X Company, etc.).

It is food for thought.
Indeed, this is a good idea. Some experiments on social bots or AI have already been done by Microsoft last year and it ended rather abruptly because of some disfunction in the AI. Check this on Wikipedia. That experiment somehow echoes the concerns of -1-, although I think his comment was a bit harsh on PN, but he has a point given the incident with Tay of Microsoft.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Averroes wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:34 pm

It is food for thought.
Indeed, this is a good idea. Some experiments on social bots or AI have already been done by Microsoft last year and it ended rather abruptly because of some disfunction in the AI. Check this on Wikipedia. That experiment somehow echoes the concerns of -1-, although I think his comment was a bit harsh on PN, but he has a point given the incident with Tay of Microsoft.
I remember that. It appears the AI is only as good at the dialectic it reflects, and in these respects is an extension of the observer him/her self.

The AI failed because of time constraints as the axioms it observed observed the same behavior as particles which move continually towards entropy. Axioms shares the same behavior as particulate, and when these particulate continually relate they form a further particule, or one could call quantum, that inherently steers the course of a specific forum. In simple terms, x forum results in x discussions, with y discussions (as ad-hominums) being equivalent to the entropic behavior of the forum itself...much in the same manner we see radioactive decay or cancer within an organism.

The AI was bound to fail because of these premises as I doubt it was programmed to deal with the form of entropy that occurs in all "realities" that are composed of particulate.

Under a specifically moderated thread would it be possible to avoid the trolls? Maybe with a thread that was specifically set at "x" amount of hours, a standard conversation, with moderators present, would allow the opportunity to have a legitimate philosophical discussion with the AI. Certain people would be "banned" from the thread, while a select group would be allowed the opportunity, all of this premised on past behavior/discussion topics/amount of time/etc. on the forum.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

When this forum updates itself, will there be a way in which mathematical equations can be better presented so that they can be better argued and discussed? I have seen some physics forums have this ability, and it may give some better consistency and clarity in the mathematics section, when arguing such subjects.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Have you considered marketing the official Philosophy Now Hemlock Mugs? Marketing would be directed at all those who haven't sold out to the Great Beast and keep Socrates' ideas alive regardless of how they are condemned by the modern secular educated.

Of course these mugs wouldn't really be used for hemlock but since a wise man invented beer, it is a good substitute which a person could use to demonstrate their wisdom
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Unknown
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 am Have you considered marketing the official Philosophy Now Hemlock Mugs? Marketing would be directed at all those who haven't sold out to the Great Beast and keep Socrates' ideas alive regardless of how they are condemned by the modern secular educated.

Of course these mugs wouldn't really be used for hemlock but since a wise man invented beer, it is a good substitute which a person could use to demonstrate their wisdom
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Unknown
I think that's a pretty good idea! We already do Philosophy Now t-shirts, why not mugs as well?