Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by marjoram_blues » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey Rick
You know I'm one of the biggest fans of Philosophy Now and the forum, doncha? Been back and fore for a wee while now. I'd like to say that, in the grand scheme of things, my frustration with certain aspects is simply piffling. I won't be mentioning it again.

Given my mellow mood (think 'easy listening'), watching snow flakes flutter down, I want to thank you for following your dream and making philosophy more open.
Many Congrats to you and the team's accomplishments. From the heart xxx.

Hope y'all enjoy this:
Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA142IsjQiE
If I Can Dream" is a song made famous by Elvis Presley, written by Walter Earl Brown[1] and notable for its direct quotations of Martin Luther King, Jr. It was recorded by Presley in June 1968, two months after King's assassination. The recording was first released to the public as the finale of Presley's '68 Comeback Special.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 pm

MB, thanks for that warm and glowy attitude as it can be infectious. ;) I too look to the humbling affects of nature, its beauty soothing to the savage beast within, not to mention my love of fine music. ;)

And to remain on topic, Rick, I for one think you do a great job. My suggestion would be to remain as unbiased in the face of philosophical interest, as you seem to have been thus far. If philosophy cannot be the epitome of freedom, then what other discipline can?
Philosophy demands ears, above all other things, as it's how Socrates knew what questions to ask!

Happy Holidays, to all those wishing to celebrate, whatever they wish to celebrate, in the purest sense of course!

Theleman

Post by Theleman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Would it be also a good idea to have sub forums based on the periods too? For example,

Ancient
Medieval
Modern
Contemporary

PauloL

Post by PauloL » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 am

Suggestion of Posting guideline "No clicks should be required to understand the post​" ©

From time to time I see people here abusing of links to the point of creating an entire post by simply pasting links.

As a forum, I think links should be ancillary to the ideas expressed in a post and not all, or almost all, its content.

As a minimum, I think it should be described what is in the link, and why it is relevant to the thread.

I hope considering this suggestion will help successful communication within the forum.

© Credit to Metabunk.org

RickLewis

Post by RickLewis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 am

Theleman wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm
Would it be also a good idea to have sub forums based on the periods too? For example,

Ancient
Medieval
Modern
Contemporary
I quite like the idea but it could be tricky to have sub forums based both on subject matter and on historical period. For example, would something on Parfit's last book on ethics go into "Ethical Theory" or into "Contemporary philosophy"? Maybe that doesn't matter and people starting threads could simply choose what they liked best. On the other hand, too many threads could become cumbersome. What do other people think?