SCREEN PROBLEM

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Necromancer

Re: SCREEN PROBLEM

Post by Necromancer » Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Seleucus wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:32 pm
For me the site is almost unusable, the indexes are covered in icons and all the drop down menus are open. The quote function is also messed up.

That's the screen I get too, exactly that, on Chrome! :(

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Necromancer wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm
Seleucus wrote:
For me the site is almost unusable, the indexes are covered in icons and all the drop down menus are open. The quote function is also messed up.

:lol: That's familiar. Did you try changing your browser? I think it depends on which browser you were using at the time of 'maintenance'. I was using Firefox so I switched to Chrome and it worked. Surreptitious did the reverse and that worked too.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Same problem I had. Cleared up when I deleted cookies, cached data and images from Chrome. It's in the 'more tools' menu.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm
Same problem I had. Cleared up when I deleted cookies, cached data and images from Chrome. It's in the 'more tools' menu.
Magic. :)

Vendetta

Post by Vendetta » Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Necromancer wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm
Seleucus wrote:

Same here. It's additionally frustrating as I typically access this site on mobile, and now with the icons not only is it difficult to browse, but for some reason every drop down menu stays open and will not close, which makes editing and typing simply infuriating. (But this has been said)

How do you clear the IMG cache on the Chrome mobile browser?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 am

Vendetta wrote: How do you clear the IMG cache on the Chrome mobile browser?
See the three vertical dots in the right hand corner of the browser screen? Click there and choose 'More tools' then 'Clear Browsing data'. If it doesn't have the dots then look for the 'Customise and control Google Chrome' feature. Barring that try Google as it is your 'friend'.

Seleucus

Post by Seleucus » Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 am

I just cleared the cache and history and it did return the forum to normal.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 am

Seleucus wrote:

ArisingUK's advice to delete cookies etc. worked for me.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 am

You should be able to change your browser if that does not work so try that if you have to. I wonder if the reason for the problem was
that existing servers for whatever reason cannot accept modifications to sites or forums they host and so treat it as malware or a virus
Maybe next time the members should be notified of any changes. The last time the format was changed there were complaints because
some of us quite preferred the old one. Even when changes are entirely necessary it is still good manners to inform everyone in advance

Necromancer

Post by Necromancer » Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm
Arising_uk wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm
Magic. :)
Yep, magic! Thanks to Arising_uk! :D

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 am
You should be able to change your browser if that does not work so try that if you have to. I wonder if the reason for the problem was
that existing servers for whatever reason cannot accept modifications to sites or forums they host and so treat it as malware or a virus
Maybe next time the members should be notified of any changes. The last time the format was changed there were complaints because
some of us quite preferred the old one. Even when changes are entirely necessary it is still good manners to inform everyone in advance
It's the fault of the browser when it relies on local cache data instead of new page data. Firefox had absolutely no problem with it. What does that tell you?

Nothing personal surreptitious57, but whose site do you think this is? It's Ricks, and he and his admins can do what ever they feel like doing, even take it down. It's like someone telling you what 'you' should do with 'your' couch in 'your' living room. It's your job to know how to handle your computer's hardware and software.

Seleucus

Post by Seleucus » Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 am

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 pm
but whose site do you think this is? It's Ricks, and he and his admins can do what ever they feel like doing, even take it down. It's like someone telling you what 'you' should do with 'your' couch in 'your' living room. It's your job to know how to handle your computer's hardware and software.
The site is quite messed up; this website is associated with a internationally published magazine and it is unusable without certain tweaks. I can't get it cleared up on any but one machine I use though switching browsers is a stop-gap. The site has a serious problem and needs to be looked at by a tech professional otherwise members will go elsewhere and new members of course will not register.

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Sun May 21, 2017 3:54 am

Seleucus wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 am
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 pm
but whose site do you think this is? It's Ricks, and he and his admins can do what ever they feel like doing, even take it down. It's like someone telling you what 'you' should do with 'your' couch in 'your' living room. It's your job to know how to handle your computer's hardware and software.
The site is quite messed up; this website is associated with a internationally published magazine
Yes, Rick owns the magazine, or at least he did!

and it is unusable without certain tweaks.
Not tweaks! Many people are what I call "point and clickers." Usually they have absolutely no idea how their own computer or it's software works. No one is responsible for their computers and the software that they decide to use, but them! I use firefox and I have never had a problem with this site. Of course I've been computing since 1983, building computer interfaces since 1987, self taught programmer since 1985, IBM Clone builder since 1994, (now called PC's), as well as builder, tech and administrator of my small local network of 6 PC's. I have never paid anyone to repair my equipment, because I was also an electronics repair technician for audio equipment. Trust me, some software doesn't always act right. Clearing a hung cache for a web browser is an extremely common procedure, as they notoriously hang. Even Firefox's cache has been known to hang. I have found that problems usually occur during so called software upgrades. But then it's not much of an upgrade if it precludes your access to sites is it? Often I get tired of troubleshooting PC problems so I just reinstall the entire OS and all the software, starting from scratch, and you'd be surprised how fast my PC is again. A little problem here, a little over there, you'd be surprised how they can add up.

I can't get it cleared up on any but one machine I use though switching browsers is a stop-gap.
How old are the computer systems? How fresh is their OS install? Do all use the same web browsers. Which OS do you use? Are these machines of your used constantly or just periodically?

The site has a serious problem and needs to be looked at by a tech professional otherwise members will go elsewhere and new members of course will not register.
Look, I know you're frustrated, but others have said their problem cleared up when they cleared their browser cache.

You can also download the latest (full) version, (not a stub for an online install), uninstall your browser, many browser web sites either have a small program or tell you how to ensure all remnants of their browser have been removed.
Just make sure you backup your bookmarks/favorites (site links), if you care to save them, before you uninstall the currently installed version.
Defrag your hard drive, especially if you have MS windows installed, then reinstall the browser using the newest (full) version you downloaded, before you uninstalled your installed version.
Only do the above if you feel completely comfortable doing so. I'd clear the cache first though, I always do so if I'm having problems with my browser, I also clear all cookies/super cookies.

Good luck!

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 am

Seleucus wrote:The site is quite messed up; this website is associated with a internationally published magazine and it is unusable without certain tweaks. I can't get it cleared up on any but one machine I use though switching browsers is a stop-gap. The site has a serious problem and needs to be looked at by a tech professional otherwise members will go elsewhere and new members of course will not register.
Clear your chrome browser cache you idiot.

Seleucus

Post by Seleucus » Sun May 21, 2017 5:29 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 am
Clear your chrome browser cache you idiot.
I need to be treated with respect. I'm not going to participate in a discussion with anyone who calls me names. End of discussion.